The question comes up often as to the amount of insurance one should carry on their car. I suggest the following at a minimum: 100/300 Liability 100/300 UM & UIM 5,000 Medical Pay 50,000 Property Damage Comprehensive Coverage.

Liability insurance will protect another driver or your passengers if you are at fault in an auto accident. The minimum in California is 15,000 per person/30,000 per incident.

UM (Uninsured Motorist) and UIM (UnderInsured Motorist). This protects you if the accident is another driver's fault and they do not have insurance or they have a small (i.e. 15,000) policy.

Medical Pay insurance pays those reasonable medical bills you incur following treatment for your injuries. The amount should be based on an understanding of your primary health insurance. Both will require reimbursement from an eventual insurance recovery. Therefore, care should be taken in obtaining appropriate amounts of coverage.

Property Damage protects the property of others that may be damaged if the accident is your fault.

Comprehensive Coverage protects your vehicle and property regardless of fault. The amount should be determined based on the value of your vehicle.

Feel free to call us or email the firm at if you would like further answers to your questions.

Blythe, Walker & Associates 760-837-1884